Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park - Study # 1


6" x 8" Acrylic on Panel
$350


This scene is an area in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park that has less vegetation than other sections, but I rather enjoyed the subtle colors and the unique arching tree in the foreground.   The painting turned out to have a slight impressionistic bent, which was not planned but which seems to suit this landscape.  To my disappointment, when I made the visit to this park, the Kilauea volcano was not erupting at that time.   The closest I have come to viewing the eruptions is on the TV news !   For viewing the eruptions , you may watch webcams here

I have also begun two more miniature paintings inspired by my visit to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and will post them here very soon .   These studies are for reference for  future larger major works.  

Studio  808.536.0650

2 comments:

  1. Carol, this piece surprised me; I would not have expected it to be Hawaii with the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, this area of the Big Island of Hawaii is very unique with the lava flows, etc. That blue color in the foreground of this painting is lava. Also , acid rain from the eruptions of Kilauea makes it like a chemical desert across miles of lava flows. When I post this painting soon on my main website www.reynoldsrenditions.com I will write more about the Park.

    ReplyDelete