Thursday, January 24, 2013

Alert (Black-Crowned Night Heron or 'Auku'u)


"Alert"
12" x 12" oil on canvas
$1200

This oil painting of a Black-crowned Night Heron, or 'Auku'u in Hawaiian, was finished late last night.  I had a grand time with it, working from one of my photographs I had taken at Hamakua Marsh in Kailua on Oahu.  It was a perfect shot of a quick turn of the heron's head as he caught sight of something nearby.   I was so focused on the heron that I have no idea what he saw.  


Thought you might like to see a close-up of the heron in the image above.  Below is the rough layout of the painting at the very beginning stage.


I had previously posted the above photo on this blog a few days ago.   I had originally intended to paint waterlilies in the water, but decided against it as the painting progressed.

If you would like to purchase this or any other painting on this blog, please contact me at reynoldsrenditions@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment