Monday, February 27, 2012

Rodeo Wagon (Reworked) and Headstrap Magnifier


"Rodeo Wagon"
8" x 10" oil on gessobord
(Reworked)
$500

I decided to put more detail in the flowers in the little rodeo wagon.   I always paint with my glasses on, but for some reason decided to pull out my headstrap magnifier to use while making adjustments.   To my horror, I realized there were "jagged edges" to the flower petals and other flaws due to my poor eyesight with just my reading glasses.   I am much happier with the painting now.    Below is some information on the magnifier I use .  It is excellent for miniature artists.


Yes, that is a little light that shines on your miniature painting to help you see, of course.   It comes with 3 magnifying lenses and 1 lens that is just clear glass for protection only.   You can find this item at  http://www.harborfreight.com    .  It is model number 95890    I have forgotten the price, but I have had mine about 2 or 3 years so the price has probably gone up anyway.

I am considering painting more true miniatures, which are suppose to be 25 square inches or less...mostly size 3" x 3" and 2.5" x 3.5" and maybe 4" x 4".   True miniatures are typically highly detailed and should look   perfect even with magnification.   

At the same time, I want to do more larger works as well, like 16" x 20" and larger.    Guess you can tell I love variety !

Thanks for stopping by today !   


No comments:

Post a Comment